Saturday, February 26, 2011

Our Changing World

   By now I think it is safe to say that we have all noticed the rapid changes that our world is experiencing. Technology is becoming a part of everyday life. From accessing the internet from our iPhone or BlackBerry, to posting blogs on Blogger.com, we are always surrounded with technology. Even now I am writing this on my Macintosh while listening to Chris Webby from iTunes, printing pictures from my wireless Canon Printer, and texting people from all over the state of Ohio with a simple touch of the,"send," button. All of this is done from my couch. The developing innovations are becoming increasingly popular amongst all sorts of people, young and old. Someone could be reading this in India and forward it to another person in Guatemala who recommends it to one of their friends in Nevada. (Not that it is even that popular, I mean as I write this I have no followers) But the point is that in the present day, we become adapt to these privileges. Maybe even take them for granted. (?)
     My concern is that we are losing sight of what is important in life. When I say that, what I mean is that our lives are no longer physical at all. Almost everything we do is virtual. From paying the bills to filling out job applications, our keyboards control the lives we so apathetically live. It may seem practical and convenient to read the news online instead of in the news paper. But we are losing that physical aspect. We can read the front page headline or jump straight to the sports section if you like, but you are taking out that small chance of an article catching your eye that could turn out to be something that you will think about for the rest of your day. By relying on the internet for everything, we are missing out on so many potential experiences.
   That is what makes me afraid of my own future. For the past few years I have figured out that I want to be a photojournalist. I enjoy writing. It helps me express myself in the best way possible. I love the way I can do anything with it that there is no limit to what you write about. Photography is like my mistress. My second love in life. There is always something to take a picture of no matter where you are. you just have to have the right eye for it. I have figured out that these two talents seem to fit together very well. I just have one problem. This world is changing faster than I can change my own shirt.
    I am the type of person who is very hands on. Sitting behind a computer isn't something that I find very exciting. I don't consider that taking online inventory or calculating this months quota to be a heart-pounding adventure. But from the outlook of things, I am going to have to teach myself to become friends with a computer room. The local Newspaper is on the verge of shutting down and people are running businesses from their home because the consumer is too lazy to get off his ass and go get what he needs.
   You may think that I sound hippo critical right now. I'm complaining about how the internet is ruining my future career, and yet here I am on blogger.com posting a blog to the, "Enemy." But let me ask you this. Would you have been able to read what I have to say if I did this anywhere else but on the World Wide Web? 

hey guys, if you like what you've read then please subscribe. You are my only incentive to keep writing. Thanks!

Ryan Pastircak






1 comment:

  1. First of all, I am very proud to be the first to comment! Secondly, I completely agree with everything you said about really being disconnected by all of our "connectedness." Hey, if Ryan Pastircak can make up words, so can I! After reading your blog though, I have a proposal for you concerning your love of taking pictures. Will discuss tomorrow...Top Secret!

    ReplyDelete